SWEET POTATOES: Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Blood Orange and Bourbon
From our friend, Rebekah Fedrowitz, MDN, BCHN
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition,
Integrative Health Speaker & Writer
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes or yams (usually 3 or 4 potatoes)
- 1/2 cup, divided, Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Slice the sweet potatoes crosswise (about 1/4 inch thick). Arrange slices in rows in a single layer, overlapping them slightly, in a shallow 3-quart casserole (such as a 9 x 13 inch baking dish).
- Preheat oven to 325oF. Heat 2 tablespoons of the Blood Orange Olive Oil over medium heat in a saute pan. Add onions and sea salt and cook until the onions are translucent. Add bourbon, molasses, and remaining Blood Orange Olive Oil. Cook for another 3-5 minutes or until juice has reduced and thickened.
- Pour onion and bourbon mixture over the sweet potatoes. Cover tightly with foil and bake 50-60 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced.
- Remove foil and drizzle juices from the bottom of the pan over the top of the sweet potatoes. Switch the oven to the broiler and cook potatoes on the top rack for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately