- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Butter (flavor) Olive Oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- use additional Butter (flavor) Olive Oil
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir yeast into water to soften for five minutes. Add three eggs, sugar, Butter Flavor Olive Oil, and salt and beat lightly. Add flour in small increments, continuing to mix, until you have smooth, moist, elastic dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for five more minutes.
- Put the dough into a large bowl oiled with a Traditional Extra Virgin Olive Oil, turning once to coat the entire ball of dough with oil. Cover and let rise until doubled, for about an hour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-oiled work surface. Divide into thirds. Shape each third into a rope about 20 inches long. Lay the ropes side by side on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Braid the ropes, tucking both ends under the loaf.
- Cover and let rise in a warm area for 45 minutes.
- Beat the reserved egg with a tablespoon of cold water to make an egg glaze. Brush the glaze lightly over the braid.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F over for 40-45 minutes, checking with an instant read thermometer for an internal temperature of 190°F.