TORTILLA: Spanish Tortilla
- FOR TORTILLA:
- 3 pounds of waxy potatoes sliced 1/8" thick, such as Yukon or Red Bliss
- 9 large eggs, beaten
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thin, such as Maui
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons Picual [May 2022] (Chile)
- FOR AIOLI:
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions for Tortilla
- Heat 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat in a 12" cast iron skillet. Add the sliced onions and saute until light brown in color; add the thyme and saute for another minute. With a slotted spoon remove the onions and thyme and mix them in to the beaten eggs. Season the egg-onion mixture with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. With the Extra Vigin Olive Oil remaining in the skillet, lightly season the potato slices with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper and layer the slices in concentric circles at the bottom of the skillet. Continue layering until all potatoes are used.
- Brown the bottom layer of potatoes over medium heat-high for 2 minutes being careful not to burn the potatoes. Pour in the egg-onion mixture over the potatoes and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Place the covered skillet in to the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until the egg layer on top is golden brown and the potatoes are tender.
- Invert the tortilla on to a platter and serve warm or allow to cool to room temperature. Serve with aioli.
Directions for Aioli
- Add the egg yolks and sea salt to the bowl of a food processor or into a blender.
- While processing, slowly drizzle in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides is necessary.
- Once all the oil has been added, pour in the lemon juice and process until combined.
- Check for seasoning.