STEAK: Filet Mignon with Cream Sauce & Mushrooms
- 2 filet mignons, 10-12 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon Melgarejo Picual [Nov 2022] (Spain)
- 1 ½ teaspoons The Crescent Olive Seasonello Herbal Salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely cracked black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon Butter (flavor) Olive Oil
- 6 ounces mushrooms (Shiitake or Cremini or Oyster)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 1 ½ tablespoons brandy
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat filets dry with a paper towel. With a string tie your filet around the middle, so that it will hold its shape when cooking. Then brush the filet with the Melgarejo EVOO; add Seasonello Herbal salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat for 5–7 minutes. Once the skillet is hot, add the filets and sear evenly all sides (about 2 minutes top, bottom, sides). Transfer the filets from the skillet to a sheet pan; place them in the oven for 8-10 minutes (Medium Rare). Remove from oven and with the filets remaining on the sheet pan, cover your sheet pan with aluminum foil and allow them to rest for 10 minutes. Set skillet aside BUT do NOT wash it yet.
- On medium to low, heat Butter Infused Olive Oil in a sauté pan; add mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes; stir in the sherry and cook for 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through. Sprinkle about a ¼ teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Using the skillet with which you seared your filets, add the Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and shallots. Cook over medium to low heat for about 2 minutes; add brandy,and stir to deglaze the skillet continuing to cook until brandy evaporates and the shallots are tender. Next stir in the heavy cream and simmer until thickened. Stir in mustard and season to taste.
- Remove string from filets and plate. Spoon the cream mustard sauce around the filet. Top meat with a spoon full of mushrooms and garnish with parsley. Serve hot.