SOUP: Wild Rice & Mushroom
Recipe from our friend,
Rebekah Fedrowitz, MDN, BCHN
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition, Integrative Health Speaker & Writer
- 6 tablespoons Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, quartered & sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16 ounces frozen mushrooms (baby bella, cremini, shiitake) halved, sliced about 1/4" thick
- 2 cups wild rice blend, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups water (plus more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Peel
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground peppercorns
- 1 bunch collards, ribs removed & coarsely chopped
- Himalayan salt
- Heat a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons Wild Mushroom & Sage Premium Olive Oil to the pot; then add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery; season liberally with salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until onions have started to soften.
- Add mushrooms to the pot and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining olive oil and rice, stir to coat well, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, thyme, lemon peel, bay leaves, Dijon mustard, peppercorns, and additional salt (Spicewalla Spices available at The Crescent Olive). Stir to combine and then cover. Increase heat to medium high until boiling , then reduce to a simmer and cook for 40-45 minutes or until rice is cooked and the soup has thickened.
- Taste soup and season with additional salt or other spices as desired. Add collards to the pot and stir to combine. Allow to continue cooking at a low simmer for about 20 minutes.