SHRIMP: Shrimp Ceviche
Recipe compliments of Jean Winslett, Crescent Olive Team Member since December 2013!
- 1 pound medium-small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped (1/2 inch)
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 serrano chiles, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 tomato, seeded, diced, and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup Persian Lime Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Serrano Honey Vinegar
- Cut shrimp into bite-sized (1/2 inch) pieces, and place in a glass or ceramic bowl. Unless your shrimp is extremely fresh, lightly pre-cooking it first is recommended.
- Add salt and pour lime juice and 1/4 cup Serrano Honey Vinegar over the shrimp and gently stir. Make sure all the shrimp is covered by the liquid, as this is how it is going to become "cooked". Adjust as necessary by adding more lime juice or vinegar. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes or until the shrimp turn from translucent to opaque.
- After shrimp have become opaque, drain and discard liquids.
- Add cucumber, onion, serrano chiles, and tomatoes.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the other 1/4 cup Serrano Honey Vinegar and 1/4 cup Persian Lime Olive Oil and mix together well to create dressing. Pour over shrimp and other ingredients and toss gently. Refrigerate an additional 30 minutes.
- Right before serving, add cilantro and avocado and toss gently.
* Serves 4-6