SHEPHERD'S PIE: Shepherd's Pie
- 1 ½ lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons Black Peppercorn Olive Oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 finely chopped Roma tomato
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 3/4 cup White A-Premium Balsamic
- 2 lbs. red-potatoes
- 2/3 cup of half and half
- 3 tablespoons Butter (flavor) Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Peal the 2 lbs. of potatoes, cut into cubes. Boil potatoes in a large pot, add a teaspoon of salt, cook until tender (approx. 20 min).
- While potatoes are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of Black Peppercorn Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in chopped onion, ground meat, carrots, thyme, garlic, ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt, and cook until meat has browned. Add the chopped tomato, cook and stir until soft - about a minute. Stir in ¾ cup of White-A Balsamic Vinegar; add frozen corn, peas, and chicken broth to the mixture and let simmer for 5 minutes until reduced and saucy.
- In a 3-quart baking dish, transfer meat mixture and evenly spread across the dish.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Add both the Butter Olive Oil and half and half. Mix in cheddar cheese and Dijon mustard. Smash until all ingredients have mixed; season with additional salt if needed.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the meat in the baking dish creating an even layer on top. Place baking dish in the oven, and bake until topping is golden brown, approximately 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.