SALAD: Seafood Potato Salad
Recipe compliments of
Ramone Dickerson of 2 Fat 2 Fly
Featured recipe for Fork & Goal
2016 USC Gamecocks vs. UMass Minutemen
- Poached Lobster Tails
- 2 lobster tails, shelled and sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
- Potato Salad
- 5 pounds potatoes, skin on
- 1 gallon sweet tea
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 lobster tails, poached
- 2 cups crab meat, picked through for shells
- 2/3 cups bacon, cooked
- 6 room temperature uncooked eggs
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon Sicilian Lemon Balsamic
- 1 cup sweet onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons celery salt or celery seed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Wild Fernleaf Dill Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup EVOO*
- Old Bay seasoning, for topping
- 1 1/2 cup Cape Cod Potato Chips, crushed for topping
*EVOO - use any of our Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oils
Poached Lobster Tails
- In a shallow pan, with the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil and just enough water to almost cover lobster; bring to a light boil.
- As soon as lobster is white and firm remove as to not overcook. Set aside
- When lobster cools, roughly chop.
- Place washed unpeeled potatoes in a large pot and cover with sweet tea and enough water to about 3 inches above potatoes. Add 1 tablespoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a medium boil and boil for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes. Prick with a fork to tell if they are done.
- While potatoes are cooking, bring a medium pot of water to a boil, then add 1 ½ tablespoons of white vinegar, and gently add the whole eggs with a slotted spoon, being careful not to crack the shells. Boil rapidly for five minutes. Turn off heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 15 minutes.
- Drain the eggs and shake the pan back and forth to crack the shells. Under running water, remove the shells. Roughly chop the eggs in large pieces and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the other 1 ½ tablespoons of white vinegar, Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar, onions, thyme, celery salt, pepper, poppy seeds (if using), sugar, mustard, and mayonnaise. Set aside and refrigerate.
- Mix both oils together in a measuring cup or other small container (EVOO and Wild Fernleaf Dill Olive Oil).
- Once the potatoes are cooked, leave them in the hot water and remove one at a time with a slotted spoon to your cutting board. Cut potatoes into chunks and place in a large bowl.
- Once you are a quarter of the way through cutting the hot potatoes, pour one quarter of the mixed oil over the cut potatoes and gently fold to combine. Repeat until all of the oil and potatoes are in the large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the hot boiled potatoes and gently mix. Add the cooked eggs and gently mix. Add the crab, lobster, and bacon. Gently mix.
- Pour the entire contents out onto a sheet pan, spreading evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled to below 40 degrees. Once cool enough, transfer potato salad to your serving container, top with Old Bay and chips.
NOTE: If serving this outside, try to keep shaded and, as an added precaution, place a bowl of ice (larger than the bowl you are using) under the bowl of potato salad to keep it chilled while serving. Place leftovers in the refrigerator as soon as you have finished serving.