ENCHILADAS: Baklouti Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
- 10 corn tortillas
- ENCHILADA SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons Baklouti (HOT!) Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (GF is fine)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- CHICKEN FILLING:
- 2 pounds cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 cups cheese shredded (Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, cheddar)
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried cumin, paprika, dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Baklouti (HOT!) Olive Oil
- 2 cups finely shredded cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
Heat Baklouti Olive Oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add in the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and oregano, and cook for 1 more minute whisking constantly. Gradually pour in the stock, whisking constantly to combine until no lumps remain. Continue cooking until the sauce reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer (the sauce should continue lightly bubbling) for about 10-15 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce has slightly thickened. Set aside to cool slightly while making the filling.
In a large bowl, toss the shredded chicken with the spices, Baklouti Premium Olive Oil, green onions, and cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Set up an assembly line to include: tortillas, enchilada sauce, chicken mixture, and cheese. Lay out a tortilla and spread two tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Add a generous spoonful of the chicken mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla. Roll up tortilla and place in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Assemble the remaining enchiladas. Spread remaining sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas, followed by shredded cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, until the enchiladas are cooked through, then uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes until the cheese begins to become crisp, and the sauce bubbles.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.