Recipe compliments of
Ramone Dickerson of 2 Fat 2 Fly
Featured recipe for Fork & Goal
2016 USC Gamecocks vs. Clemson Tigers
- 1 large chicken
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Olive Oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- Set oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 500oF. Using sharp kitchen shears or knife, remove spine from chicken. Set spine aside. Flatten chicken by placing flat skin side up on cutting board and applying firm pressure to breast bone. Rub chicken on all surfaces with 1 tablespoon oil. Combine 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1 teaspoon baking powder (if using, the baking powder will help crisp the skin) in a small bowl. Sprinkle all over chicken.
- Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Position chicken so that breasts are aligned with center of baking sheet and legs are close to edge. Roast until thickest part of breast (closest to the bone) registers 150oF on an instant-read thermometer and the joint between thighs and body registers at least 170oF, about 45 minutes, reducing the heat to 450oF if the chicken starts to darken too quickly.