CHICKEN: Balsamic Roasted Chicken
Recipe compliments of:
Heather Blake, OTR/L
Integrative Nutrition Health Coach
- 1 whole chicken (pasture-raised, cage-free)
- 1 piece of kitchen twine
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary or other herb such as thyme
- * Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil
- * Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
- salt and pepper
- diced root vegetables, if desired (carrots, potatoes, turnips, yams, beets)
- Preheat oven to 375oF.
- Stuff onion, garlic, and rosemary into cavity of chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Pull the wings so that they overlap on top of the breast.
- Rub all surfaces of the chicken with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Set in a roasting pan, breast side down. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip breast side up, and baste with the pan juices (and more oil and balsamic vinegar!).
- If using vegetables, place around the chicken at this time.
- Bake for 60-75 more minutes, until the thickest part of the thigh measures 175oF (it will reach 185oF as it rests). Baste occasionally with pan juices.
- Let rest 10 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 185oF. Remove the string and get carving!
- To serve, ladle the pan juices on top of the chicken and vegetables for an amazing flavor and moisture!!!
When you're finished cleaning the carcass, it is the perfect opportunity to make some nourishing bone broth! Bone broth seals intestinal permeability, strengthens the immune system, and is so good to sip in the winter months!