CAKE: Chocolate Fudge Cake
Desserts & Other Goodies
- two 9-inch round cake pans
- parchment paper
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Butter (flavor) Olive Oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups raw granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Cake:
- With oven rack in the middle, preheat ovent to 350oF.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and then line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a small bow, combine the Butter Flavored Olive Oil and 1 cup of water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), whisk together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter mixture. Use electric mixer on low speed to mix until just combined. On medium speed, mix in the sour cream mixture.
- Divide evenly in prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted has few moist crumbs. Place pan on cooling rack for 25-30 minutes. Loosen cake with paring knife, invert cake onto rack, remove parchment, and cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Put chocolate chips in a medium bowl. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat cream until hot. Pour cream over chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. Gently whisk until creamy and smooth.
- Scoop out 3/4 chocolate mixture into another bowl; set aside remaining frosting. Let 3/4 mixture cool, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.
Put it all together:
- Place 1 cake on serving platter, bottom side up. Spread 3/4 frosting evenly to the edge. Top with other cake, bottom side up.
- Gently reheat remaining frosting by filling medium saucepan with 2" water; place over medium heat; reduce to simmer. Place bowl of frosting OVER simmering water; stir until melted. Pour immediately over cake. With metal spatula, spread evenly to cover top and let drip down sides.
- Allow to set and then serve (and enjoy!).