SPREAD: Tuscan White Bean Spread
- 1 pound of dried, rinsed Great Northern white beans (or two cans)
- 2 inch sprig of fresh rosemary
- 4 cups low chicken or vegetable stock and water to cover beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 whole garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 2 ripe, fresh Romas tomatoes, peeled, diced & seeded or one small can of diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- fresh gound pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- In a 6-quart or larger stock pot, add all of the ingredients except the Tuscan Herb Olive Oil. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, partially covered for approximately 4 hours or until the beans are tender and fully cooked through. Add more water as necessary. Allow the beans to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a food processor, ladle two cups of cooked beans along with liquid in which they were cooked. Add 1/3 cup Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and process until smooth or desired consistency is reached.
- Serve at room temperature drizzled with two tablespoons of Tuscan Herb Olive Oil.
The spread may be served with crudites, crackers, lavash, pita, or crusty bread.
Makes approximately 2 1/2 cups white bean spread.