BRUSCHETTA: Caramelized Onion Bruschetta
- 1 baguette
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Traditional Balsamic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
- 6 filets anchovy halved
- 6 olives halved
- 1 teaspoon capers (optional)
- Cut baguette on diagonal into slices, place on baking sheet in 425 oven. Toast until lightly golden, turning over once. Cool.
- Split garlic cloves vertically, and with the cut side, rub top of each bread slice. Set Aside.
- Combine onions, Garlic Olive Oil, Tuscan Herb Olive Oil, and water in a large covered skillet. Simmer slowly, checking occasionally. Add more water if needed. When onions are soft & limp, remove cover and continue to cook until all liquid is evaporated. The onions must not color. Separate the mixture, removing half from the skillet.
Sweet: To the remaining onions add Traditional Balsamic, sugar & butter. Again, simmer gently until liquid has evaporated. Place a spoonful on half of the baguette slices & garnish with walnuts.
Savory: Place a spoonful of reserved mixture on baguette slices and garnish with anchovy, olive and caper.